COUNTERTENOR + CELLIST
Hello, my name is David Sagastume and while I dream of retiring in Mauritius, I am a musician.
You have probably heard me sing as a countertenor, both live and on recordings, with Ricercar Consort, La Cappella Mediterranea or Ministriles de Marsias, among many others.
I feel privileged to be part of the Capella Reial de Catalunya since 1998, directed by one of the musicians I most admire: Jordi Savall.
I have sung as a soloist with a multitude of formations, among which I would like to highlight:
- The Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment
- Concert Français
- Orquesta Barroca de Sevilla
- Orquesta Ciudad de Granada
- Café Zimmerman
- Netherlands Bach Society under the direction of Gustav Leonhardt, with whom I had the honor of singing as a soloist in Paris at the Cité de la Musique and at the Saint-Roch church.
Some of the recordings that I have enjoyed the most are:
- The Puer natus est mass by F. Guerrero and the Missa Sine Nomine by Johannes de Antxieta with the Capilla Peñaflorida.
- El Fuego with Les Sacqueboutiers de Toulouse.
- The CD «Serpiente venenosa», with the Orquesta Barroca de Sevilla and the soprano María Espada.
I also perform regularly with Les Sacqueboutiers de Toulouse and the Ensemble Gilles Binchois, for example. But Maestro Savall's capacity for work and, obviously, his musical genius, are unmatched. It is difficult to create such a good human group as he does.
I participate regularly in the recordings of Alia Vox (the Maestro's label) for the last 20 years. Some of my favorites are the following:
- OFFICIUM HEBDOMADAE SANCTAE: Passion, by Tomás Luis de Victoria.
- DINASTIA BORGIA: Chiesa e potere nel Rinascimento, with which we won a Grammy Award in 2010 in the category of Best Small Ensemble Performance.
- GUERRE & PAIX: War and Peace in the Europe of the Baroque.
- HENRICUS ISAAC: Nell tempo di Lorenzo de’Medici & Maximilian I.
- EL NUEVO MUNDO: Folías Criollas, together with Tembembe Ensamble Continuo.
- IN EXCELSIS DEO: Au temps de la guerre de Succession d’Espagne.
* DINASTÍA BORGIA Book Disc.
I am especially excited to have been part of the first record released by this company on its Alia Vox Diversa label as a member of Euskal Barrokensemble. I also regularly work with this group, directed by the prodigious Enrike Solinís.
(BAROQUE AND MODERN)
However, what you may not know is that my true passion, and what I have dedicated many years to, is playing the cello. I have received advice from prestigious professors such as Siegfried Palm and Laurentiu Sbarcea among others. I like it so much that I got the extraordinary prize in the final exam of my class (I was born in 1972).
At the same time I studied harpsichord, viola da gamba, chamber music and composition, along with singing studies with R. Levitt and Carlos Mena, but playing the cello is what I like the most in the world and what I enjoy the most.
During my studies, I was a member of the “Jesús Guridi” Instrumental Ensemble, mainly dedicated to the interpretation of music from the 20th and 21st centuries, as well as belonging to the Youth Orchestra of Euskal Herria EGO for several years.
I regularly collaborated with the Euskadi Symphony Orchestra. There I was lucky enough to interpret Bruckner's seventh symphony, one of the things I have enjoyed the most in my career.
The summer of 2019 I had a wonderful time playing the baroque cello in the recording of this duet:
Duetto: Love, gioie my porge, HWV 180 by G.F. Handel.
Anaïs Oliveras & Maria Chiara Gallo.
Recorded in summer 2019.
SOME MORE DATA ABOUT MY PROFESSIONAL CAREER
It seems that I am considered a good professional, because thanks to the effort I have put into my career, I have had the opportunity to travel all over the world and sing in places as singular as:
- The Sydney Opera House
- The Palace of Versailles
- The Carnegie Hall of Nueva York
- The Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Ángeles
- The Chicago Symphony
- The Philharmonie in París
- The Palau de la Música in Barcelona
- El Konzerthaus de Viena
- The Concertgebouw in Ámsterdam
- La Elbphilharmonie de Hamburgo
- The Palace of Fine Arts in Mexico City
- The National Auditorium and the Royal Theater of Madrid
- The Maestranza Theater in Seville
- The Palace of Fine Arts in Brussels Bozar
* Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Ángeles.
Photography by Leire Baztarrica.
Or in places as curious as:
- The Sanders Theater at Harvard University in Massachusetts
- The Chiquitos Missions in Bolivia
- The Festival of Cartagena de Indias
- The Alhambra of Granada
- The Royal Palace of Fes
- The Cultural Foundation of Abu Dhabi
* Sidney Opera House.
Photography by Matt Hardy.
EARLY MUSIC COMPANY
I am a founding member of the group "Intonationes", specialized mainly in the interpretation of the Hispanic polyphonic repertoire of the 16th and 17th centuries.
As director of this formation, I have carried out the work of recovery and transcription of a Magnificat that was believed to be incomplete by the Basque musician Johanes de Antxieta, thus expanding the extraordinarily meager catalog (16 works with the recently discovered one) of one of the most important musicians of the Hispanic XV century.
Johanes de Antxieta - O Bone Jesu
Recorded live in August 2012 in La Seu d'Urgell, Vielha and Berga, during the concert tour of the Festival de Música Antigua dels Pirineus (FeMAP).
MY DAY TO DAY AS A MUSICIAN
My typical day is waking up in a hotel in any city and, taking advantage of the fact that breakfast is usually included and if there is no rehearsal that morning, I try to visit the city.
After looking for an appetizing place to eat, a short nap if possible, and in the afternoon rehearsal and concert, or rehearsal only if it is not the day of the event.
At night, have dinner and a beer with colleagues while we enjoy a pleasant time together. And back to bed to start again the next day well rested and to be able to continue giving everything.
If you feel like following my day to day, I usually like to share some details on my instagram account: @dasagast
Together with Luca Guglielmi, Michael Behringer and Baláz Mate at the Palau de la Música Catalana in Barcelona.
I really like making musical arrangements, especially songs that pose a challenge to me.
The last one that I have arranged is Demi Lovato's «Stone Cold» for string quartet, in which I have also participated playing the cello together with friends and great professionals in her field.
I know this will sound strange to you, but I have been playing the cello with Dr.Sax since 2014. (I have an electric cello that I play in live concerts).
Dr. Sax is the personal project of Txus (guitar and voice), singer of Arenna. Together with him, and Imanol Martínez (viola), I have recorded three albums, VOL. II, VOL. III (this one together with Guillermo Colás, also the percussionist from Arenna) and VOL. IV, in which so many people participate that it is difficult for me to mention them all...
I am very concerned about the rate of consumption today, which is why I strive to implement at all costs in my day to day good habits regarding the use of plastics, being aware of the global climate situation, etc...
But, despite the fact that music is something that is practically essential for us and that it has become a mass consumption product today, musicians and other cultural agents do not always enjoy the respect we deserve. And not just as individuals, but as a working collective that doesn't rest to make everyone's life a little bit more enjoyable.
For all this I thank you for your support, and I hope you like the selection of my work that I show you on this website.
Text updated on the 1st of January of 2022.